Wednesday, June 1, 2011

In The Beginning.....

Hey everyone. It took me a little while (seven weeks to be exact. but who's counting)  to decide if I wanted to start a blog about my journey because I didn't know if I wanted the world (or the 2 or 3 people who may actually read this) all in my business, but then decided that if this helps just one woman then my job is done. So here goes: (this is going to be a long one)

On April 14th, 2011, I underwent a Single Port Total Laparoscopic Hysterectomy at the age of 34 and at 35 I am now in Menopause (chemical).... Think on that one for a minute...
Maybe I should start from the beginning...

About 5 years ago I started having some really bad cramps. I think every woman thinks their cramps are bad but these were worse than natural childbirth (trust me I know..)! They were the kind that would put you down for a day or two. I thought it was just apart of getting older and came with the territory after having 4 kids. Even with all these thoughts going through my head I decided to talk to my gyno about it. We went through the whole battery of test and ultrasounds and the diagnosis: fibroids. I accepted the diagnosis, she put me on birth control and went on about my business but dreading the every other 28 days... 

Then there was a change... for the worse... Stomach pains (when not on my cycle), chest pain, fatigue, head aches, trouble breathing, the list goes on... I went back to my gyno 12 times over 2 1/2 years trying to get some answers, but the answer was still the same: fibroids. She said "there's no way that the chest pain and shortness of breath is being caused by the fibroids. They are unrelated." On a visit to see her on September 2nd, 2009, because she was over booked, I opted to see another doctor and told him about the chest pains and shortness of breath, and he sent me to get a chest x-ray. I was never able to get the results of those tests because on September 3rd, 2009 I was rushed  to the hospital with Pulmonary Embolism. I had blood clots on my lungs!!!!!! I was allergic to birth control! But with all of that I still didn't have any relief from any of the pain.
I continued to keep seeing the same gyno. I just started thinking that all of this pain I was feeling was all in my head. I kept thinking "she's the medical professional. She know what she's talking about".... Until a co-worker told me to go to GWU Hospital Womens Health Center. I still put it off for a little while (until the pain and symptoms got worse than they already were). This was the appointment that changed my life.

First, my doctors were the most patient, understanding, courteous people, not just health professionals, but people I have met in a very long time. The doctor asked me all the questions my first gyno should have asked. They did an ultrasound right there in the office. They did not have me make a separate appointment for an ultrasound. And I had answers right then and there: I had a very severe case of Endometriosis. Now, with most women, they give you birth control and it helps to regulate it and you go about your business. But seeing as I'm allergic to them, that wasn't an option for me. I talked with my fiancee about it: I have four kids, he has one but we don't have any together and this was a huge decision to make. He was so very supportive and told me "We need you healthy. We have a family." With that, I made the appointment to have the surgery. 

My surgery was suppose to be a two hour outpatient surgery. I was suppose to go home afterwards: Welp, that didn't happen! LOL! My two hour surgery turned into five hours, a three day hospital stay and a blood transfusion! What the hell?! When they got inside there was a lot of damage! The Endometriosis was so severe that I fused my uterus to my bladder (one surgery by itself), it spread up to my diaphragm and liver and they found a dermoid cysts (that the ER doctor found in '09 that I told the old gyno about and she ignored). 

Which brings us to the present day and this Menopause thing. The doctors had to put me in chemical menopause because the Endometriosis is still on my liver and diaphragm and they want to see if it releases itself so I don't have to undergo anymore surgeries.
I know that was a mouthful to get out and to digest but if felt good to get it all out! 
So now that you know all my business, stayed tuned for the "Menopause Chronicles"..... LOL!

Thanks for reading!

35 With Hot Flashes

3 comments:

  1. Great entry! I look forward to reading more of your (forthright) entries regarding various life experiences.

    With respect to this entry, I think what bothers me most was the doctor's negligence, and her lack of urgency when she learned about other cysts found in your body. Thankfully, you found a doctor that was most interested in your health and how to ELIMINATE (not control) the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness what an ordeal! Glad everything got figured out in time.

    ReplyDelete